Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Brian Flores' racial discrimination lawsuit against NFL can go to trial, judge says -WealthTrail Solutions
EchoSense:Brian Flores' racial discrimination lawsuit against NFL can go to trial, judge says
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-04 23:30:46
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge said Tuesday that she’s not changing her decision to let NFL coach Brian Flores put the league and EchoSensethree of its teams on trial over his claims that he and other Black coaches face discrimination.
Judge Valerie Caproni’s written ruling in Manhattan federal court came after both sides in the case asked her to reconsider her March decision.
The judge ruled then that claims by two coaches who joined the Flores lawsuit after it was filed early last year must proceed to arbitration, where NFL Commission Roger Goodell will presumably serve as arbitrator.
She said Flores can proceed to trial with his claims against the league and three teams: the Denver Broncos, the New York Giants and the Houston Texans.
In February 2022, Flores sued the league and several teams, saying the league was “rife with racism,” particularly in its hiring and promotion of Black coaches.
When she ruled in March, Caproni wrote that descriptions by the coaches of their experiences of racial discrimination in a league with a “long history of systematic discrimination toward Black players, coaches, and managers — are incredibly troubling.”
“Although the clear majority of professional football players are Black, only a tiny percentage of coaches are Black,” she said.
She said it was “difficult to understand” how there was only one Black head coach at the time Flores filed his lawsuit in a league of 32 teams with Black players making up about 70% of the rosters.
In her ruling Tuesday, Caproni rejected an effort by the NFL to argue that a contract Flores signed last year with the Pittsburgh Steelers prevented him from taking any claim to trial because it contained language that would apply retroactively to claims against any NFL team.
She said the copy of the contract that the NFL submitted to her before she ruled in March contained a signature line for Goodell that was blank and the contract was not “valid and binding” unless signed by all parties.
The judge rejected a signed copy that was submitted after her ruling, saying “a motion for reconsideration is not a means to mend holes in the record with neglected evidence.”
Caproni also rejected arguments by lawyers for Flores who claimed that the arbitration agreements between the NFL and some of its coaches are “unconscionable” because Goodell would be a biased arbitrator.
She said the lawyers must wait until the arbitration occurs to decide whether their fears were warranted and whether Goodell “gave them a fair shake to prove their claims.”
She said the lawyers were asking her “to fashion a specific rule out of whole cloth to protect them from potential arbitrator bias that may never manifest itself.”
Lawyers on both sides, along with a spokesperson for the NFL, did not immediately comment.
Last year after filing his lawsuit, Flores said he believed he was risking the coaching career he loves by suing the NFL, but he said it was worth it for generations to come if he could succeed in challenging systemic racism in the league.
In March, the judge noted that Flores had recently been hired as the new defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings.
veryGood! (72219)
Related
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- How kids are making sense of climate change and extreme weather
- Simone Biles makes history, wins sixth world championship all-around title: Highlights
- India flash flooding death toll climbs after a glacial lake burst that scientists had warned about for years
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Families say faulty vehicle caused cargo ship fire that killed two New Jersey firefighters
- Witnesses to FBI hunt for Civil War gold describe heavily loaded armored truck, signs of a night dig
- Jason and Kylie Kelce's Adorable Family Photos Prove They're the Perfect Team
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- NJ attorney general looking into 2018 investigation of crash involving Nadine Menendez
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Syria shells northern rebel-held region of Idlib, killing 7 people
- Kevin McCarthy denies reports that he's resigning from Congress
- Why was Johnny Walker ejected? Missouri DE leaves after ref says he spit on LSU player
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Biden condemns the ‘appalling assault’ by Hamas as Israel’s allies express anger and shock
- NFT creator wins multimillion-dollar lawsuit, paving the way for other artists
- From runways to rockets: Prada will help design NASA's spacesuits for mission to the moon
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Simone Biles' husband, Packers' Jonathan Owens gushes over wife's 'greatness'
To Be Greener, Get Rid Of Your Grass
Brenda Tracy granted restraining order stopping MSU coach Mel Tucker from releasing texts
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
US expels two Russian diplomats to retaliate for the expulsion of two American diplomats from Moscow
FBI: Former U.S. soldier offered China top-secret national defense information
21 Savage cleared to legally travel abroad with plans of international performance in London